You’ve gotta make these Honey Roasted Carrots with Whipped Ricotta for the most unbelievable veggie side dish that will warm your soul.
Seriously, taking a bite with all the components together is magical. The creamy, slightly zesty whipped ricotta with the sweet and butter honey roasted carrots, crunchy pine nuts, and fresh parsley. It’s just to die for! Might even be a part of my last meal on earth pick.
I was visiting cousins in Montreal this past summer and we went out to eat at this restaurant called Knox Tavern. Because there were so many of us, it was a pre-set menu. These honey roasted carrots were one of the dishes they brought out for us. It was by far our favorite, so I had to try and re-create it.
I love when the heirloom carrots are extra soft, so they sort of melt in your mouth. You’re gonna make a salted honey butter mixture to toss with the carrots after roasting. This way you don’t risk burning the butter and honey in the oven.
Have you ever had whipped ricotta before? If not, you’re in for a treat. It’s important to whip it until it’s fluffy and ultra smooth. That’s why I use a food processor. Every brand of ricotta is different, and some don’t whip as well by hand, using a bowl and a whisk.
- Butter – You can use salted or unsalted here.
- Honey – You can substitute agave or maple syrup for honey here, if that’s all you have at home.
- Assorted Heirloom Carrots – These are the carrots that are all different colors. I like them because they’re absolutely beautiful, but if you can only find orange, that’s good too.
- Garlic Powder – Buy my favorite garlic powder here, from a company called Burlap & Barrel.
- Pine Nuts – So expensive in grocery stores, and so much cheaper on Amazon, I like these ones. You can also substitute other nuts or seeds, like almonds, walnuts, hazelnuts, pecans, pumpkin seeds, or sunflower seeds.
Honey Roasted Carrots with Whipped Ricotta
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1 Small Bowl
- 1 Small Pan
- Food Processor I used a mini one
- 2 tablespoons butter softened
- 1 tablespoon honey
- Kosher salt
- 1 lb. assorted heirloom carrots peeled, ends trimmed, and cut into halves or quarters lengthwise, depending on thickness
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ cup pine nuts
- 2/3 cup ricotta
- 2 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil
- Lemon juice to taste
- Parsley leaves to garnish
- Adjust rack to top or middle position and preheat oven to 425°F. Prepare a parchment-lined sheet pan.
- In a small bowl, stir together the softened butter and honey until smooth. Season with a pinch of Kosher salt.
- Toss carrots on the parchment-lined sheet pan with the avocado oil, garlic powder, and a big sprinkle of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast for 20-25 minutes, until golden and tender.
- Meanwhile, toast the pine nuts. Heat a small dry pan over medium heat. Add pine nuts and toast, stirring occasionally, for 2-4 minutes, until golden.
- In the bowl of a food processor, combine the ricotta, olive oil, lemon juice (I used a little more than ¼ lemon for 3 portions), and a good pinch of Kosher salt. Puree until extremely smooth and a bit fluffy. Taste and season with more salt, if necessary.
- When carrots are finished roasting, toss on the sheet pan with the honey butter until melted.
- To serve, spread whipped ricotta on a serving plate. Top with roasted carrots in a pile in the center, toasted pine nuts, and as many fresh parsley leaves as you’d like. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and serve.