This One Pan Antipasto Chicken is everything you’d find in an Antipasto Salad, minus the salad, plus the chicken and melted cheese. Sound good? It does to me!
I love a classic antipasto salad. So why wouldn’t this Antipasto Chicken be as good? A twist on a classic is almost always guaranteed to be a winner. Pepperoncini, roasted red peppers, olives, red onion, artichoke hearts, good quality salami, and of course, cheese. All easy to find, store-bought ingredients. Just a little prep and you’re ready to make a super easy dinner.
Marinating the chicken makes all the difference. BUT WAIT! The marinade is store-bought Italian Dressing. I really wanted to simplify things for you here. Usually I like to make my own marinades, but I wanted to go super easy and super classic. One of the best chicken dishes I’ve ever had was braised chicken in store-bought Italian Dressing, so thought I’d take a cue from that recipe for my Antipasto Chicken here. And guess what? It works.
Chicken Breasts – You can buy pre cut chicken cutlets here if you don’t want to do the prep yourself (1.5-2 lbs. worth). But I like to cut them myself because I find the store-bought pre-sliced ones are always a bit too thin.
Red Onion – Can sub a yellow onion or shallot here as well. if using a shallot, use one whole shallot.
Roasted Red Peppers – You can roast the peppers yourself if you prefer, however for this recipe I bought jarred roasted red peppers to make it easy.
Grilled Marinated Artichoke Hearts – I find the grilled hearts have a bit of extra flavor. If you can’t find these, regular artichoke hearts will do.
Salami – I bought freshly sliced from the deli counter, but getting a packaged pre-sliced is perfectly fine, too.
Fresh Basil – If you can’t find fresh basil, parsley or chives work as well.
One Pan Antipasto Chicken
- 1 Deep Dish or Zip Close Plastic Bag For Marinating
- Paper Towels
- 1 Large Bowl
- 1 Large Skillet Oven Safe
- 1 ½ cups Italian Dressing I used Ken’s
- 2 large chicken breasts about 1 ½ – 2 lbs., cut in half into cutlets
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ½ red onion thinly sliced
- 3 whole roasted red peppers halved lengthwise and thinly sliced crosswise
- 10 Kalamata olives, pitted cut in half lengthwise
- 4 Pepperoncini thinly sliced crosswise into rounds
- 1 7.5 oz. jar grilled marinated artichoke hearts (artichokes cut in half)
- 1 ½ oz. salami thinly sliced and cut into wedges
- 1 tablespoon avocado oil
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Fresh basil to taste, as garnish
- Reserve 2 tablespoons Italian dressing for the veggies and place the remaining in a deep dish with the chicken to marinate. Cover and marinate in the refrigerator for at least 2 hours, or overnight. The longer the better.
- Lift the chicken from the marinade and pat dry with paper towels. Make sure to dry well. Season the chicken all over with Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Let come to room temperature before cooking.
- Adjust rack to top position and preheat oven to 375°F.
- In a large bowl, combine onion, roasted peppers, olives, Pepperoncini, artichokes, salami, and reserved Italian Dressing. Season with a pinch of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Set aside while chicken comes to room temperature.
- When ready to cook, heat about a tablespoon of avocado oil in a large, oven-safe skillet over medium-high heat. Add chicken and sear on both sides until golden brown, 3-4 minutes on the first side and two minutes on the second side. Turn off heat and spoon veggie mixture on top of chicken. Sprinkle mozzarella on top of the veggies and chicken.
- Place entire skillet in the oven and bake for 10-12 minutes, or until chicken is cooked through. Sprinkle with freshly ground black pepper and as much fresh basil as you’d like and serve.