Classic buffalo chicken wings with a twist. PEACH JAM! It’s the perfect mix of sweet and spicy. Plus, the wings are grilled, not fried!
So technically, the chicken wings are roasted then grilled. But still, not fried. I love this recipe because it takes a popular dish and puts a spin on it. So you’ll have all the familiar flavors of buffalo wings, with a tiny bit of sweet peach and some ginger. It’s an explosion of flavor with every bite. That’s the truth!
Why roast them first? This helps ensure the wings are completely cooked through. So, when you throw them on the grill, it’s just to char ’em. This also makes it easy to prep for a crowd. Roast the chicken wings ahead of time. Refrigerate if roasting more than two hours prior to grilling. When ready to grill, dunk in the sauce and grill until charred and crispy. Easy.
- Chicken Wings / Drumettes – Feel free to use all wings or all drumettes if you prefer one over the other. But I love a combo.
- Hot Sauce – Use your favorite hot sauce, NOT a buffalo sauce. My husband and I love Crystal Louisiana’s Pure Hot Sauce, found here.
- Unsalted Butter – I melted mine in the microwave, But you don’t want to melt it too much that the milk solids separate from the fat in the butter. Just so it’s soft and creamy.
- Peach Jam – Feel free to use any brand you’d like, but I like to use Bonne Maman Peach Preserves, found here.
Peachy Buffalo Chicken Wings
- Parchment Paper
- 1 Sheet Pan
- 1 Large Mixing Bowl
- Outdoor Grill or Grill Pan
- 18 wings and drumettes or whichever you prefer
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon ginger powder
- ½ teaspoon onion powder
- 1 cup hot sauce
- 6 tablespoons unsalted butter slightly melted but not separated
- 6 tablespoons peach jam
- 2 cloves garlic
- 1 inch chunk fresh ginger peeled and roughly chopped
- Remove chicken from the refrigerator for 30 minutes before cooking. Position a rack in the upper third of the oven and preheat oven to 375°F.
- On a parchment lined sheet pan, toss the wings with the garlic powder, ginger powder, onion powder, and a big sprinkle of Kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper. Roast until cooked through 30-40 minutes. Remove from oven and let cool for at least 15 minutes (You can let them sit at room temperature for up to 2 hours before grilling or pop them in the refrigerator. They can be refrigerated overnight to grill the next day, if needed).
- While the wings cook, make the sauce. In a blender combine the hot sauce, butter, peach jam, garlic, and ginger. Puree until smooth and then place into a large mixing bowl.
- Preheat the grill to medium-high heat (I rub my grates with avocado oil-soaked towel to prevent sticking).
- When ready to grill, toss the cooked wings in the bowl of hot sauce (being careful not to get too much of the residual oil from the sheet pan in the sauce) and turn to coat evenly. Using tongs, lift the wings from the sauce, reserving the sauce for serving, and place on the grill. Cook until each side is charred and crispy, 5-8 minutes.
- If using a grill pan, spray with avocado oil and cook wings over medium heat for 4-6 minutes, until charred and crispy on all sides.
- Serve immediately with the leftover sauce on the side for dipping.