When you want something healthy, but with A LOT of flavor, eat these – my chicken mango avocado summer rolls will hit the spot!
I learned to make summer rolls when I worked for Marcia Selden Catering, right after graduating from culinary school. We would cut them into bite size pieces for hors d’oeuvres and I would have to make hundreds, sometimes thousands of them in a day. I loved making them and was really good at it, so I was the designated “summer roll girl.”
I love them because there are endless combinations for what you can put inside, so expect more to come on my site! This particular combination of chicken, mango, and avocado is actually something I learned at the catering company, however, I’ve put my Sacha twist.
You can prep most of the ingredients ahead of time (except for the chopped mint and sliced avocado), no more than 2 days, and store in the refrigerator until ready to roll! Make them for lunches or cut them into bite-sized pieces and serve them with cocktails at a dinner party, your choice!
- Chicken Tenderloins – I like these because they’re small and cook quickly. But you can substitute one large chicken breast for these instead. Butterfly the chicken breast, coat with the spices, and cook.
- Avocado Oil – I love using avocado oil for cooking when I am sautéing, stir fry-ing, or searing. It has a high smoke point, which means it can get very hot before it starts to smoke and burn, similar to other neutral oils, like vegetable or canola. However, it’s SO MUCH healthier than those oils, almost as healthy as olive oil. You can read more about it here. If you want, you can substitute olive oil or grapeseed oil, but you should be able to find avocado oil in most grocery stores.
- Hot Hungarian Paprika – Just because you’ve never heard of it, doesn’t mean it isn’t at your local grocery store! I am usually able to find it at most places, but if you cannot, order it here or substitute regular or smoked paprika.
- Shredded Carrots – Do yourself a favor and buy the shredded carrots at the grocery store – it’ll be one less ingredient you have to chop. If you’re not sure what I’m talking about, look here.
- Rice Paper Wrappers – Blue Dragon makes my favorite rice paper wrappers, you can find them here or buy any brand at your local grocery store. I would buy an extra packet, just in case some of them break, they’re very fragile!
- Shredded Iceberg Lettuce – To shred iceberg lettuce, take your knife and cut the lettuce head as thinly as possible.
Chicken, Mango, Avocado Summer Rolls
- Parchment Paper
- Sheet Pan
- Medium Sauté Pan
- Prep Bowls (for all the ingredients)
- Cutting Board – Some cutting boards may require you to wet them slightly before putting the rice paper wrappers on top, because they might stick to your cutting board. It depends on your board, so you’ll have to test it out with trial and error.
- Dipping Cup (for the Sweet Chili Sauce)
- 5 chicken tenderloins at room temperature
- 2 tablespoons avocado oil
- Kosher salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon onion powder
- ¼ teaspoon chili powder
- ¼ teaspoon hot Hungarian paprika
- 2 teaspoons avocado oil
- 1 ½ cups shredded carrots
- ¾ avocado thinly sliced vertically
- 1 tablespoon lemon juice
- 10 rice paper wrappers
- 1 ¼ cups shredded iceberg lettuce
- 1 ¼ teaspoons chopped fresh mint
- ½ mango thinly sliced vertically
- ¼ cup Sweet Chili Sauce
- Preheat your oven to 400°F.
- On a parchment-lined sheet pan, toss the chicken with 2 tablespoons of oil, ½ teaspoon of salt, pepper (to taste), the garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder, and paprika. Cook for 12 minutes, until fully cooked, then take out of the oven and let cool to room temperature. Slice each tenderloin into 3 vertical strips and place the pieces into a prep bowl.
- In a medium sauté pan over medium heat, warm 2 teaspoons of oil. Add the carrots, 1 teaspoon of salt, and freshly ground black pepper. Cook for 3 minutes, stirring often, until the carrots are par cooked (still having a little bit of bite). Transfer to a bowl and let cool to room temperature.
- Place the avocado in a small prep bowl and toss with the lemon juice to prevent browning.
- Each summer roll will need 2 rice paper wrappers. Run them under room temperature water in the sink to hydrate them. Make sure to wet both sides well, about 10 seconds. Stick them together and place on a cutting board.
- Take ¼ cup of the shredded iceberg lettuce and spread it in a horizontal line on the lower third of your wrapper, the side closest to you. Top with ¼ teaspoon of the mint, followed by about a fifth of the carrots. Add 2-3 pieces of chicken, 2-3 pieces of mango, and 2-3 pieces of avocado, all depending on how large the pieces are. Make sure the ingredients are spread evenly, so that there is a little of everything in each bite of the summer roll.
- Fold in the two ends, and pull the bottom part of the wrappers over the filling, squeezing it in, like rolling a burrito. Make sure to tighten each time you roll, pulling it towards you. Don’t pull too hard, or it may rip (remember, trial and error)!
- Repeat the process with the remaining wrappers and ingredients, placing them on an oil-sprayed, parchment-lined baking sheet once you’re finished with each one. Keep them separated from each other, as they will stick together. Cut them in halves or sixths (for hors d’oeuvre size). Serve with a dipping cup of Sweet Chili Sauce on the side.