Guys, it’s THE SAUCE. Yes, my famous aji green sauce you all want the recipe for. Make it and eat with EVERYTHING.
Seriously, everything. Any protein or vegetable. Smear it on a sandwich, a burger, a wrap. Do you like fried food? Use this as a dip. I promise you will not regret it, this sauce will be what makes your dinner parties great. Everyone will ask for the recipe.
What is aji anyways? It’s actually a variety of chili pepper, mostly found in Peru, that ranges from mild to very hot and comes in all different colors, even purple! It’s very common to buy aji chili pepper pastes to use in cooking, which is what I use in this sauce. You can use the paste for an assortment of dishes and marinades – it’ll add an amazing pop of flavor and you’ll thank me for introducing you to it.
I learned how to make this sauce when I was working at a Marcia Selden Catering, my first job after I graduated from culinary school. One of my best friends in the kitchen was Peruvian and taught me how to make a version of this. Unfortunately I didn’t write down the recipe, just memorized a list of ingredients, so I went through lots of testing to bring you my version here. I hope you enjoy it as much as I do!
- Cilantro Stems – Most people only use the cilantro leaves when cooking, however the stems hold so much amazing flavor! Since we are blending them all up anyway, we might as well use the stems too, instead of throwing them away.
- Aji Amarillo Paste – The aji amarillo is the yellow aji pepper, which is more mild than other varieties. I am obsessed with all the pastes that Inca’s Food makes, and luckily they are easy to buy on Amazon, check it out here. Don’t skip on this ingredient, it’s the most important part of the recipe!
My Famous Aji Green Sauce
- 3 cloves garlic
- 2 jalapeños seeded and roughly chopped
- 1 cup cilantro leaves and thin stems
- 3 scallions cut into 1 inch pieces
- 1/2 avocado
- Juice from 2 limes
- 1/2 cup mayonnaise
- 3 tablespoons aji amarillo paste
- 1 teaspoon honey
- 1 1/2-2 teaspoons kosher salt
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- Place all ingredients into a blender or Vitamix and puree until smooth. Taste and add more salt if needed.
Leave a Comment